Application Note: CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios for Coverage as a Service (CaaS)
Table of Contents
- Small Cell Technology and its Advantages
- Coverage as a Service (CaaS)
- CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios
- Benefits of CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios for CaaS a. Capacity Benefits b. Coverage Benefits c. Cost Benefits
- Comparison with Traditional MNO Base Station Deployments
- Use Cases
In today’s digital age, reliable cellular coverage is essential for both consumers and businesses. However, achieving seamless connectivity can be challenging in areas with high population density or where traditional cellular infrastructure is difficult to deploy. To address these challenges, CableFree introduces its 5G Small Cell Radios, offering an innovative solution for “Coverage as a Service” (CaaS). This application note explores how CableFree’s 5G Small Cell Radios can be used to provide both permanent and temporary cellular coverage, highlighting their capacity, coverage, and cost benefits compared to traditional Mobile Network Operator (MNO) base station deployments.
2. Small Cell Technology and its Advantages
CableFree Small Cell technology involves the deployment of compact, low-power cellular access points to enhance wireless coverage and capacity in specific areas. These small cells can operate in various frequency bands, including 5G, and have a range of applications, from urban environments to rural and remote locations. The key advantages of small cells include:
- Enhanced Coverage: Small cells improve coverage by filling coverage gaps and addressing signal attenuation caused by obstacles such as buildings and terrain.
- Increased Capacity: They increase network capacity in densely populated areas by offloading traffic from macrocell towers.
- Reduced Latency: Small cells reduce latency, crucial for applications like IoT and autonomous vehicles.
- Cost-Effective: They can be more cost-effective than traditional macrocell deployments.
- Neutral Host deployments: CableFree Small Cells support key technologies required for Multi Operator Neutral Host.
3. Coverage as a Service (CaaS)
CaaS is a service model where organizations or individuals can rent or subscribe to cellular coverage on a temporary or permanent basis. It is particularly valuable for events, disaster recovery, remote sites, or areas where MNOs find it challenging to deploy their infrastructure. CaaS providers, using CableFree radios, offer turnkey solutions for coverage without the need for extensive network planning or infrastructure investment.
Many CaaS deployments also require Multi Operator Neutral Host support: this is where the service of more than one operator is carried over the same physical hardware. The radio needs to have certain features included to support his
4. CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios
CableFree’s 5G Small Cell Radios are advanced cellular access points designed for use in a wide range of scenarios. They are characterized by:
- 5G Compatibility: Support for the latest 5G standards, including mmWave and sub-6GHz bands.
- Compact Design: Small form factor allows for easy deployment on lampposts, utility poles, or existing infrastructure.
- High Throughput: High-capacity backhaul and fast data speeds enable support for a large number of concurrent users.
- Self-Configuration: Automated self-configuration and optimization for simplified deployment.
- Low Power Consumption: Energy-efficient design minimizes operational costs.
- Flexibility: Scalable and adaptable to various coverage needs.
5. Benefits of CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios for CaaS
a. Capacity Benefits
CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios excel in providing additional capacity where it’s needed most:
- Dense Urban Areas: These radios offload data traffic from macrocells, reducing network congestion and ensuring a consistent user experience.
- Event Coverage: For large events like concerts or sports games, CableFree’s solution ensures high data capacity for attendees.
- Emergencies: Rapidly deployable for disaster recovery, they ensure that emergency services and affected populations have access to critical communications.
b. Coverage Benefits
Small cell radios offer exceptional coverage benefits:
- Improved Indoor Coverage: Enhance indoor connectivity in shopping malls, stadiums, airports, and other large buildings.
- Rural and Remote Areas: Extend coverage to underserved or unserved regions with minimal infrastructure investment.
- Fill Coverage Gaps: Target areas with weak or no signal coverage, improving the overall user experience.
c. Cost Benefits for Coverage as a Service
CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios deliver significant cost advantages:
- Lower Capital Expenditure: Reduced upfront infrastructure costs compared to traditional base station deployments.
- Operational Savings: Energy-efficient design minimizes operational expenses, making it cost-effective for both temporary and permanent deployments.
- Quick Deployment: Rapid installation reduces labor and time costs associated with network expansion.
6. Comparison with Traditional MNO Base Station Deployments
CableFree’s 5G Small Cell Radios offer several advantages over traditional MNO base station deployments:
- Faster Deployment: Small cells can be deployed rapidly, enabling quick response to coverage demands.
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership: Reduced infrastructure costs and operational savings make CableFree’s solution more cost-effective.
- Scalability: The solution is easily scalable to meet changing coverage requirements.
- Enhanced Flexibility: These small cell radios can be placed in diverse locations, optimizing coverage, including mounting on temporary structures such as masts, poles, trailers and even tethered balloons/aerial platforms
7. Use Cases
- Temporary Events: Concerts, festivals, and sports events can deploy CableFree 5G Small Cell Radios to handle the surge in data demand.
- Remote Locations: Mining sites, construction sites, or remote communities can access reliable cellular connectivity.
- Emergency Response: Disaster-stricken areas can benefit from immediate network recovery.
- Urban Congestion Relief: Ease network congestion in crowded city centers.
- Indoor Venues: Malls, airports, and convention centers can improve indoor coverage.
8. Conclusion: Coverage as a Service
CableFree’s 5G Small Cell Radios provide a versatile and cost-effective solution for Coverage as a Service (CaaS). With their capacity, coverage, and cost benefits, these small cell radios are ideal for both permanent and temporary deployments. Their ability to complement or even replace traditional MNO base station deployments makes them a compelling choice for network operators, enterprises, and service providers looking to offer seamless cellular coverage in diverse scenarios.
Proven Wireless Performance Worldwide
CableFree Wireless products are field-proven, with thousands of deployments in over 80 countries since 1996. Excellence in performance and reliability are ensured providing highly competitive solutions together with a comprehensive range of support services.
Request More Information for CaaS
For More Information on CableFree Wireless Networking Products, please Contact Us and our team will be delighted to advise on a precise solution to match your exact requirements.